Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Planning a Successful Event - Part 4: Promotion, Promotion, Promotion

Back in the day (about 10 years ago in New York City), we passed out flyers, hand to hand until we were about to pass out. When I think of how often the streets became littered with a long trail of flyers I got printed, I think to myself, what a waste! Not only was it a waste, but it took every ounce of self-control I had inside of me, to keep from picking up the trail of my money that was lying on the ground in tossed flyers. We passed out thousands of flyers, but the reality of the situation was the flyers meant more to me and my crew than the recipients. Even then, before a facebook, we spent hours of meeting time trying to figure out what we could do to make our events more successful.

Email Blasts
After we starting having events on a regular basis, "The Gospel Talent Showdown", we started building our own database of attendees and gathered as much information as we possibly could about them. I have a little story I tell people all the time about how I built my email list - by borrowing email contacts from people who were affiliated with Christian organizations and were known for sending out announcements and revealing all of the addresses of the recipients. I would literally sit in front of the computer from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and copy thousands of email addresses. After a few months, when we sent out an announcement, the whole city knew and then it started to spill over to other areas of the country as people started coming into New York to participate in our event. The point I'm making here is, let's not forget how effective email blasts can be when they are going out to individuals who have an interest in what you are doing. Please don't forget to ask the recipients to share your announcement with their friends. If you notice, anytime you join a new site these days, they're asking you to include the email addresses of your friends to invite them to their site.

Facebook Cover Photo
With the new Facebook format, it's impossible to miss what a person is promoting because the banner/cover photo at the top of their page is so prominent it screams, "LOOK AT ME ALL THE WAY UP HERE!" Please use this to your advantage. Keep your event in your visitors' faces. Ask your friends if they would be kind enough to post your flyer and/or banner on their page. It would be best to ask a group of friends to do it on the same day to make your campaign more effective.

Create a Youtube Promo
You don't have to hire a camera crew to come up with something short, simple and effective. I recall a few weeks ago I saw someone post a Youtube link in one of the Facebook groups I belong to, promoting a bus ride. I thought it was cute when the gentleman said, "Join us for a glorious ride of Shopping and Shouting. Amen!" It was catchy. Be creative and have fun. It can be 2-5 minutes long. If you don't have a video camera, upload some pictures to Windows Live Movie Maker (which is free) and some music and then upload it to Youtube.

Posters
I don't like having my flyers thrown away. And although it has never come down to me getting into a fight about it, I'd like to keep it that way. Lol! I LOVE POSTERS! Hijack someone's window in their business for your poster, ask if they would be willing to do it for free, then offer some money. What's $5 or $10 dollars going to do to you after you've already secured your sponsorships for your event.

Twitter
I'm guilty of not harnessing the power of Twitter until recently, but let me tell you; please don't be a fool like me and ignore it. People appear to be more willing to share small bits of information than the entire novel you may have written on your page. Brevity can save you. Be witty with your wording and get your "Twit" or "Tweet" on! This has nothing to do with planning an event, but yesterday I posted this tweet, "I'm in a different "grind-set" nowadays. Keep grinding, no excuses. Thank God for supernatural strength when I'm worn out."  People loved it and started sharing it immediately; so please, get the creative seasonings out and let the marinating begin. When everything is in place, start COOKING!

Graphic Design
How can I share your flyer and I can't read the type on it? You got a lot of people on there, but I can't make out the faces. They might as well be flies on a dark night. Think about it----you making more work for me because now all my friends are asking me to tell them what's on YOUR flyer. Your flyer represents you and your company. If it looks mediocre, then maybe your event is going to be boring and not worth the admission fee you are requesting.

Look, I am sorry to keep you hanging, but I will have to continue this post later. My other duties are calling. When I come back later on this evening, I will also include contact info for my artists out there who are looking for more exposure.

Until later, stay Blessed.
Love Arielle a.ka. Determinator1

1 comment:

  1. Work and a great team always make a spotless work...I read your article and find that you make nice point on the Well I sincerely enjoyed studying it. This subject offered by you is very effective for good planning, hard service... promotional event company

    ReplyDelete